URL parameters help Google to crawl your iste more efficiently and give priority to your more useful content by controlling the parameters that effect the site content. In blogging platforms like Wordpress and Blogspot, there are several parameters, that effect the page content. Famous among them are replytocom, Show comment, comment Page, m and utm parameters. Here are the guidelines to get through all this headache and to make it simoe to optimize URLs for Blogger blogs and enhance your SEO.
To check the parameters Google has found out on your blog, simply log into your Webmasters Account and then click Configurations and then URL parameters. You will see a list of around 7-8 parameters for which you need to specify their behavior. The number of these parameters could be greater if you are using Google Custom Search.
Some of the Parameters are
Parameters follow a URL with a question mark.
You will find Edit and Reset link to the right of each parameter. Make the setting for each parameter one by one as shown.
Points to Remember
1. This method will only make crawling easy for Googlebot and will not make any of your pages disappearing.
2. You need to set Crawl and Effect entries only.
3. To see the structure of the URL you can click "show example URLs" in the popup window to precheck how the URLs look like.
4. Effect Paginates here is used for CommentPage and m because both are simple identifiers to show page number for comments greater than 200 in Blogger.
5. Effect Sorts is chosen for max-results and updated-max because both sorts the page content in order of time and date.
Reductoin of crawl errors
Yes, it does reduce the crawl errors. Most of the errors are caused by duplicate URLs or due to absence of canonical link attributes. This methods makes it extremely easy to control the URL structure of your blog within your webmasters account.